Wednesday Traffic Accident, 5 transported for injuries

(0 Votes)
An accident that had a street closed Wednesday late afternoon into the evening in Aberdeen had seen 5 people transported to Community Hospital with a 13-year-old girl being transferred to Harborview in Seattle due to serious injuries. 

More on this from Aberdeen Police Lt. Chastain;
A two-vehicle nearly head-on collision Wednesday afternoon December 26th sent five people to the hospital. At about 4:16 PM Aberdeen Police and Fire personnel responded to a two-vehicle collision in the 500 block W. Curtis St.

A westbound 2009 Chrysler Sebring was being driven by a 40-year old Beaverton OR man with his 18-year old daughter in the right front seat and his 13-year old daughter in the right rear seat. He has been recovering from a cold and began having a severe coughing episode. The Sebring was being driven in the left westbound lane, but began veering to the left and crossed into the eastbound lanes.

Meanwhile, an eastbound 2018 Ford Escape was being driven by a 76-year old south Aberdeen woman with her 82-year old husband in the right front seat. They were in the right eastbound lane heading for their residence when the Sebring crossed the left lane and struck them nearly



There was no evidence of braking by either vehicle before the collision, and both vehicles were believed to be traveling at or about 30-35 MPH at the time of the collision. Multiple airbags were deployed in both vehicles. All five occupants of the two vehicles were transported by ambulance to the Grays Harbor Community Hospital. The 13-year-old was being transferred to the Harborview Medical Center for serious injuries. Evidence at the scene is leading investigators to believe the 13-year-old may not have been wearing any seat belts.

The investigation has not provided any evidence that alcohol or drugs were involved or contributory to this collision. The roadway remained closed until just before 9 PM, while members of the Aberdeen Police Department Collision Investigation Team investigated the collision. An officer with the Hoquiam Police Department provided assistance with running some of the technology equipment deployed during the investigation. The investigation is ongoing.